Friday, April 24, 2009

I disagree with...

I have heard way too many Christians start talking about particular ministries or churches lately using the phrase “I disagree with this . . . because . . .” The phrase itself seems to represent a sort of strange spirit of arrogance particularly when it is over something trivial like music, a personality, the type of people who show up, how they do their hair, dedications, etc. 

The  spirit of “I disagree with…” as I have been hearing it discounts our role to play. When people are living in this Spirit they seem to be focused more on what other Christians are doing wrong rather than what their responsibility is. I have yet to hear someone speaking in this spirit looking to step up and serve. More often than not it seems a tactic that comes up as a way to distract from what they are not doing. 

 Constructive criticism is ok, in fact it’s good if it is productive.  It isn’t helpful to tear down another ministry or church that is theologically sound and destroy what “they” do so that we can look cool.   This spirit as I have encountered it makes following Jesus more about being in the cool group than encountering the creator of the universe. . 

Questions to consider: when disagreeing with… since we all do it...

    Am I doing this for the benefit of my own ego?
    Am I doing this as an attempt tot hide?
    Am I willing to give the benefit of the doubt and hold my tongue?

Last point when we live out of the " I disagree with. . ." spirit we are maximizing problems and minimizing what God is doing. 

Disclaimer ***I want to make it clear that I am not talking about instances where major important THEOLOGY is wrong, that maybe necessary to speak against. Music, dedications, , hair style, and particular personalities definately does not fall into that category.

--Mike Handy

No comments:

Post a Comment