Thursday, April 30, 2009

My mug is really Yellow


Isn’t it funny how we can make something look like it’s something else by the way we present it? I took this picture today at my desk of my yellow Livestrong mug. I found out that by messing with my phones picture settings (I was in the phone vortex ... aka on hold) I could make the mug look blue.

This, as most things do, struck me as an allegory to something else…. I think we often try to present ourselves as blue mugs when in reality we are another color altogether.

There are times when I try to position myself in such away that I am presenting someone who is really something/ someone else. I’m not saying this is an over arching character flaw and I almost always (and as far as I intently know always) come clean admitting my true color but sometimes it is tempting to hide.

This can flesh itself out in several ways

• It’s saying I’m committed to something but I don’t make sacrifices in order to really support it. (This mostly shows up in time spent)
• It happens when I prop myself up to look cool and in turn actually put someone else down
• When I’m at work and I don’t maximize the time I’m in the phone vortex … when I can

I think Jesus is calling me to be a more consistent person and that includes seeking out times I present myself as a blue mug but I’m really a different color. I also need more relationships where people know that I’m really a yellow mug… and won’t let me present myself as a blue mug. My wife is great for me in this area but I know its an area that needs more people… namely some guys.

No comments:

Post a Comment