Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Things arent always what they seem

In Mark 6 Jesus talks about a prophet coming home to the town where he played in the streets as a child. He talks about how that prophet has no honor even amongst his family. He says He, God in flesh, doesn't even get respect around His family and those that He grew up with. They can only see Him for what He was... that weird kid. Think about the kid that chilled out with teachers wasn't normal. 

From this passage I find it comforting to know that what people see at first glance might not be true. I find it comforting to know that there is a bigger picture. I find it challenging to know that I can encounter people in situations where I think I have them pegged but I have them dead wrong.
   
   Its frustrating to be in a place where a person or yourself is treated for who they appear to be (or who they were), rather than who they can become or even who they have become. To subvert this I need to be better. I need to be better at surprising people in my perception of them and their perception of me. So many of us see others as sumo wrestlers when they are really hot air balloons. They aren't dead weight... they're actually able to take dead weight to new heights, we just arent looking close enough.  What if that weird co-worker just feels trapped and doesn't know how to respond. What if they expect me to do one thing because I have always done it(even though its inconsistent with who I am) and I do something else because its right? What if I refused to let the people around me define who I am and instead just let Jesus own his place? 

When it comes to people, things arent what they seem unless we are ok with that. 
   

No comments:

Post a Comment