Thursday, April 22, 2010

Ishmael ... aka forced frustration



I am taking an Ethics class this semester. At times this class has been great! Other times I am the one voice standing up saying there is a right and a wrong. The latest twist has taken what was once a balanced view of the issues to an all out attack on Global Warming, and consequently Christianity (They seem unrelated but they aren't). It started with Al Gore's an Inconvenient Truth... which was inconvenient but I am still not sold on the "Truth" part. The only novel that we are reading this semester is Ishmael by Daniel Quinn a novel with an extreme naturalist view. It is very hard to explain my actual thoughts on this but I will give it a go...

1. Quinn introduces "Or" concepts that come fast. Quickly presented on a surface level with only one rational solution. Most readers probably wouldn't pick up on them because they are set against a moving plot. One "Or" conclusion drawn is the function of humans as full rulers of the world in order to create paradise. Quinn refuses to consider that maybe we (as humans) are seeing a time when there was paradise, and something inside wants to restore it.

2. Quinn suggests that there is nothing fundamentally wrong with Humanity. According to Quin the fundamentally wrong philosophy is a result of cultural messages. This to me paired with the previous point seems to shout EDEN from the mountain top. Why would things be universal amongst humanity... maybe it is that our nature knows something we refuse to see.

3. Quinn suggests that humanity "makes up" how we ought to live according to our own thoughts. Quinn suggests that there is an objective truth but everyone has it wrong! According to Quinn humanity needs to look at nature to figure the "truth" out fully. Shocker on this one I think an honest pursuit down this path will direct you toward a very moral life. I believe that morality is written on the walls of the universe.

4. Quinn often offers "facts" that are not based on facts!!! I know this is a work of fiction so stick with me on this... One fact presented is that people that live in undeveloped societies don't have Prophets. This isn't true almost every native culture has a prophet! Witchdoctors, Chiefs, leaders.. they all serve as prophets!

The most frustrating thing about this class is how poorly Christianity is getting treated in the course. My professor often takes pot shots at Christianity and the subject isn't up for discourse (understandably). I make sure I take a clear stand when relevant and respectful but 9 times out of 10 it's not. Also many of the students in my class wrongly assume that the sole goal of Christianity is control. My thought is that Christianity is all about life.. and life to the fullest, which includes radical freedom.

I should clarify one point my professor for all his knowledge has a weak understanding of true orthodoxy. He is not in my opinion honestly anti Christian just misinformed, sadly a debate wouldn't cut the fog. There is a place for love and it needs to be played out with honesty.

Vent over

No comments:

Post a Comment