Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Words:: Tool or Weapon?




I am taking an ethics course this semester. In general I like the course even though I have occasionally vented in frustration via Social Media. In this class I am the thinking Christian my goal is not to convert but to make sure my worldview has a fighting chance. I am careful to be respectful, thoughtful, honest and gentle. One member of this class has had zero respect for me as a person from day 1. Every point that is made she feels compelled to try to make me look the fool, sadly most of the class considers her the fool. I have asked my classmates (Particularly the ones that dont agree with me) if I have been rude, they always affirm that I have been too kind.

Today it was as if a light burst through her anger so I could see clearly. This Girl doesn't have a problem with me she has a problem with Christians. She has been hurt... it is in her voice. Based on the way she talks it seems clear that she has been hurt by harsh condemning words.

This brings me to the point of this blog:: Words are like Machetes they can be a tool or a weapon!

"Reckless words pierce like a sword, but the tongue of the wise brings healing" :: Proverbs 12:18

If you have used words as a weapon there is a chance you have done damage that needs to be undone. I am finding that truth, is often not about being right intellectually.. It's about offering it with the right heart.

In short Facts are easy...being wise with them is hard! I hope that I have the opportunity to communicate grace this semester.

No comments:

Post a Comment